The reunion episode of RuPaul’s Drag Race ought to be overflowing with drama, and that’s precisely what we get in tonight’s episode. I used to be not a fan of the brand new reunion format when it debuted throughout final yr’s All Stars 2, nevertheless it works significantly better for a contemporary group of queens that hasn’t totally adjusted to post-Drag Race fame. These queens are nonetheless determining easy methods to navigate life after Drag Race, and this episode is a captivating have a look at them negotiating their time on the present with their expertise afterward. There’s nonetheless that awkward hollowness at first because the queens reunite in an enormous theater with nobody within the seats, however that rapidly dissipates as soon as the contestants begin commenting in regards to the largest moments this season. (My splendid reunion state of affairs would have the queens on the runway with an viewers that reacts to what’s occurring on stage, however I feel RuPaul likes switching up the setting for this episode.)
RuPaul makes a clever resolution in structuring this episode across the main tales of this season somewhat than specializing in every particular person queen, and whereas which means among the contestants fade into the background, it creates much more battle for the cameras. This additionally makes the episode an evaluation of how nicely the queens can seize display screen time, not not like Untucked. Are you prepared and in a position to communicate up and get display screen time by saying issues that the editors will wish to embrace? Not everyone seems to be, and it’s not a shock that the season’s most forgettable queens don’t have a lot to contribute on this episode.
RuPaul begins the reunion with studying, particularly by specializing in Alexis Michelle’s reactions to the opposite queens calling her out on her physique picture points once they know she is delicate about that subject. Alexis tries to defend herself by speaking about how they’d simply mentioned physique picture a number of episodes earlier than visiting the library, however no one is having this excuse, particularly as a result of Alexis had no drawback on calling out different queens on issues that they’d established they had been insecure about, like Shea and her enamel.
Ru reiterates that the library is just like the Friar’s Membership, the place individuals can communicate brazenly about different individuals’s flaws and insecurities and everybody laughs about it, and he or she brings a pair of studying glasses to find out whether or not or not Alexis actually has grown the thick pores and skin she says she has. Trinity instantly goes for the sore spot by evaluating Alexis’ physique to a honey ham as a result of that’s the type of bitch she is, and to Alexis’ credit score, she doesn’t look too rattled by it. Beginning the episode off with a studying session is a really good approach of ratcheting up the drama early on, and it units a tone that’s maintained all through the remainder of the episode.
Jaymes Mansfield will get one good learn in directed at Valentina (“I had a very good learn for Valentina, however I can’t bear in mind the phrases”), however in any other case she doesn’t have something to say on this episode. She’s not the one queen that’s quiet, and I don’t know if it’s the modifying that diminishes their roles, however Cynthia Lee Fontaine and Kimora Blac additionally don’t have a lot to say, if they are saying something in any respect. Cynthia has so little to say on this episode that it looks like she’s not even part of the season, and he or she doesn’t interact with any of the drama. She speaks when she’s handing over the Miss Congeniality trophy, however even then it’s simply to say because of her followers.
After the studying, Ru switches gears to speak about this season’s stunning eliminations, and whereas a few of these moments had been fairly disappointing, they did make for some dramatic TV. The queens don’t have any persistence for Charlies Hides’ excuses for why she utterly threw within the towel throughout her lip sync, and Shea specifically wastes no time shutting down Charlie’s declare that she had a damaged rib that stored her from performing to the perfect of her skill. Charlie doesn’t fare nicely in any respect this week (the pipe cleaner “Charlie” on her head additionally appears low cost as hell), and he or she deserves the entire judgement she will get from the opposite queens. She has so many excuses that she will be able to’t hold all of them straight, and the one conclusion I can come to relating to Charlie is that she was able to go residence and didn’t trouble to strive lip syncing for her life.
Trinity and Shea could as nicely be sponsored by Lipton contemplating how a lot tea they serve on this episode, however I count on that from these queens. For me, the breakout star of this reunion is Farrah Moan, and I’m as stunned as everybody else. She recreates her extremely .gif-able second when Eureka was eradicated and has an epic eye roll when Alexis Michelle complains about being learn for her physique, however she actually shines later within the episode. When requested to “Toot or Boot” Eureka’s hair loaves, Farrah says she “loaved” it, and RuPaul takes a second to commend Farrah for efficiently executing a superb pun: “Y’all, Farrah simply made a really humorous joke and he or she delivered it actually superbly. Give her an enormous spherical of applause.” It’s a hilarious second of RuPaul calling out a queen that was fairly rattling boring all season, and Farrah runs with this momentum and continues to make herself stand out in a approach she by no means did through the season.
When RuPaul asks the queens to critique the chairs supplied by considered one of their sponsors, Farrah says, “They’re good, they’re stunning, they seem like Linda Evangelista,” and it’s each a very nice callback and a show of her intense resentment of Valentina, which actually comes out when Valentina is called Miss Congeniality. Feedback by Valentina are sometimes adopted by unimpressed response photographs from Farrah, establishing the blow-up that happens when Valentina will get Miss Congeniality and the $5,000 that comes with it. Not one of the queens are proud of Valentina incomes this title, and most of that resentment comes from Valentina not being congenial. Aja is the primary queen to name bullshit (in fact), however everybody else is fast to leap onto the irony of the season’s most egocentric queen being named essentially the most congenial.
I had heard rumblings that Valentina was disliked by the remainder of the queens, and this episode makes it very clear that they didn’t like her through the competitors and nonetheless maintain onto these emotions. The queens gained’t settle for Valentina’s excuses for utterly botching the lip sync that received her eradicated, and with each Charlie and Valentina, you notice that placing no effort into the lip sync is an unforgivable offense. Alexis tries to face up for Valentina, however Shea instantly shuts her down and tells her to cease attempting to redeem herself to Valentina’s followers, a lot of whom attacked Alexis as a result of they felt she ought to have supplied herself up for elimination, which is a daft concept. Valentina’s followers had been extraordinarily unreasonable when coming to the protection of their queen, and Valentina compares herself to Selena in attempting to elucidate why her followers are so keen about her. This simply makes everybody else much more indignant, and so they come for her with their claws out for not attempting to chill down a fanbase that was attacking her season 9 sisters.
Valentina is true that her elimination was a “darn good episode” that gave her a telenovela ending, however this episode reveals the darkish facet of her that the cameras didn’t present, however the remainder of the contestants undoubtedly noticed (and are nonetheless seeing). Valentina didn’t attempt to do something to cease her followers from going after her opponents on social media when she was eradicated, and whereas she tries to justify her distance by saying that she’s not lively on social media, Shea calls her out by saying she was consistently checking her feed whereas they had been on the promotional tour. (Shea does a whole lot of calling out this week and I like her for it.) Shea additionally brings up Valentina saying she would rise up for Nina if her followers went after her, which is one other factor that by no means occurred.
I completely perceive why Valentina would attempt to disconnect after struggling such a serious disappointment, however when her silence is inflicting issues for the opposite queens, she ought to interact together with her followers and inform them to cease. She did that at present on her Instagram a number of hours earlier than the reunion episode aired, nevertheless it looks like her masking her ass somewhat than a real try to cease the assaults which were happening for weeks now. None of that is particularly congenial, after which Farrah assaults Valentina for not chatting with her for the final 5 months once they did all the things collectively through the competitors. Farrah’s grown herself a spine since her time on the present, and if she was this trustworthy and humorous through the present, she in all probability would have gone even additional.
In the end, the queens resolve that Valentina gained “fan favourite” somewhat than Miss Congeniality, and so they aren’t fallacious. Congeniality implies a certain quantity of compassion and selflessness that Valentina didn’t present the opposite queens, and Ru doesn’t attempt to battle again in opposition to this. She accepts that that is how the contestants really feel, however she’s not going to take this award away from Valentina. She will get the title and the cash, and he or she’ll simply should stay with the blows this delivers to her repute. She’ll in all probability be tremendous, and on the finish of the day, Valentina remains to be liable for among the most dramatic moments of the season, which makes her a useful participant on this yr’s recreation.
- The ultimate 4 queens are going to be in a lip sync showdown to find out who wins, and whereas I doubt it’s going to be the case, I hope your complete finale is the ultimate 4 lip syncing till RuPaul decides about who wins. No recaps of various queens’ arcs, simply nonstop lip syncs.
- RuPaul pronounces .gif with a tough g, so I’ve much more respect for her.
- I’m obsessive about Sasha’s look on this episode. The mohawk appears nice, nevertheless it’s the garment that basically impresses me, with a form that distinguishes her from everybody else on stage. She appears implausible.
- I’m so bored with the Nina Bo’Nina Brown narrative this season. She’s deeply insecure and paranoid, and he or she doesn’t see herself as a part of the issue in any respect. All the things is an exterior menace, and RuPaul is attempting so laborious to persuade her that the decision is coming from inside the home. I hope she will be able to discover that confidence in herself to cease pondering that the world is plotting in opposition to her, however I don’t wish to watch her till she will get to that time.
- Eureka was pressured to depart the competitors early, so she takes benefit of this second to reclaim among the highlight and may be very vocal. (She additionally has some actually nice response photographs.) I’m excited to see her come again subsequent season, and I feel we’re going to see her drag considerably elevated when she does.
- I’m nonetheless indignant that Lisa Kudrow wasn’t a visitor choose and her “Ruber Black” second doesn’t do something to decrease these emotions. Convey again Lisa Kudrow!!!!
- Don’t tease us with Cheyenne Jackson in assless chaps. That’s simply merciless.
- I’m a Little Combine stan (go forward and choose me), so I’m thrilled to see Drag Race’s American Attire ladies Alaska, Courtney Act, and Willam reunited within the video for his or her new single, “Energy.”
- “That’s why I name you the Joan Of Arc of drag. Nice concepts, badly executed.”
- “This was a yr of stunning eliminations, and I’m not speaking about what goes on between you and your Squatty Potty.” RuPaul goes to maintain making that Squatty Potty cash nevertheless he can.
- “That’s precisely what her response is when her sugar daddy takes away her bank card.”
- “My knee’s fairly good, I’m again to suckin’ dick.”
- “Do I look upset to you?” I hope somebody turns this right into a .gif so it may be used for a lot of a social media response.
- “I dont wanna say I learn her, I simply aggressively complimented her.”
- “You’re secretly one little bitch.”
- “The make-up was…No. The gown was…No.” Very intelligent, Todrick.
- Fortune Feimster: “I like your nails. These are fuuuuuuun.” Michelle: “Positively not lesbian pleasant. Slicing vulvas in every single place I’m going.”
- “Your hat appears like a bushy foreskin.”
- “It kinda appears like homosexual birds shit on her arm.”