Throughout the mid-1990s, the uniquely American custom of Blues Traveler gave voice to the struggling of so many hardworking women and men, who have been all struggling simply to hacky sack. After all, the hardships Blues Traveler as soon as sang of on fiery, rotgut wallows like “Run-Round” haven’t gone away. They’ve solely modified to fulfill the instances. Right this moment it’s not solely your most trusted mates who need to provide the run-around. The web has made it so strangers can accomplish that anonymously—1000’s of them, all providing you with the run-around 1,000,000 instances per second. And so, Blues Traveler frontman John Popper has up to date accordingly, calling out those that give him the run-around nowadays not with a reducing track, however by posting their private data on-line.
The Day by day Beast has gamely tried to put out Popper’s doxxing marketing campaign in opposition to Forrest Rutherford, Popper’s chief antagonist in operating round—although as with all of your favourite Blues Traveler songs, corresponding to “Run-Round,” its complexities are usually not so simply summarized. So right here’s an try at placing all essentially the most noteworthy occasions in chronological order:
1. In 1994, Blues Traveler releases “Run-Round.” The peppy blues-rock quantity turns into the band’s breakthrough hit and goes on to win the Grammy Award for Finest Rock Vocal Efficiency By A Duo Or Group.
2. Twenty years later, Buzzfeed author Katie Notopolous tweets a couple of half-remembered anecdote from an episode of VH1’s Behind The Music, relating to John Popper’s confession of as soon as being “too overweight to masturbate.”
three. Popper affords a pleasant reply, the place an eggplant is his dick.
four. As so presciently captured in his 1994 hit “Run-Round,” different Twitter customers rapidly take part and proceed to offer Popper the run-around. He responds with a string of invective the place he calls some girls fats cunts and suggests he fucked their mothers. (He later recounts this fracas in his 2016 autobiography Suck & Blow, a model of the story that leaves Notopolous feeling “besmirched.”)
5. A kind of aforementioned runners-around, Forrest Rutherford, steps into Popper’s alternate with Notopolous with some unspecified zingers. The character of these zingers has, alas, been misplaced to the ages, within the wake of Rutherford’s authentic account being suspended. Nonetheless, they have been apparently so selection, they sparked a years-long on-line feud.
6. The Popper/Rutherford beef is reignited with a vengeance a number of weeks in the past, because of the Rutherford-created @assbott, a Twitter bot that posts random Dadaist musings cut-and-pasted from his Rutherford’s private account with the only intention of baiting Trump supporters into arguments. A kind of nonsense fragments occurs to include Popper’s identify and—as Popper habitually searches for himself—he quickly finds it.
7. Popper responds by sending scores of tweets to and about Rutherford—some together with Photoshopped variations of his pics, his private handle, and even Google Maps photographs of his home—all whereas calling him “a hazard to his household and a stalker” on Fb. Because of this, Rutherford tells The Day by day Beast he’s obtained loss of life threats. Popper’s Rutherford-related tweets, during which he deploys the “crying laughing face emoji” as liberally as tasty harmonica licks, quantity properly over 100 previously week alone.
eight. Rutherford information complaints with Twitter, and lots of of his mates report the Blues Traveler account for focused harassment.
9. Twitter provides Rutherford the run-around. Oh, the candy, lancing sting of irony!
10. Blues Traveler additionally writes the track “Hook.” That ought to really be at No. 2.
For his half, Rutherford tells The Day by day Beast that he’s not significantly involved that any Blues Traveler followers will make good on their threats, which have included sending members of the Mexican drug cartel the Zetas to his home. “I don’t truthfully assume there’s anyone that cares sufficient about John Popper,” Rutherford stated. “I needed to inform my household, ‘Pay attention, nothing’s gonna occur.’” Nevertheless, whereas he understands that it’s in all probability all very amusing to see Popper, whose songs have gotten so many by the hardscrabble wait instances at Chili’s, now decreased to spending his days waging Twitter wars with some random man in Kentucky, Rutherford would nonetheless favor it weren’t taking place.
In the meantime, the Blues Traveler account continues to be going robust, with Popper remaining defiant in his replies to Rutherford, Rutherford’s mates, and whoever else makes the error of participating or typing “John Popper” into their standing subject—all whereas insisting Rutherford deserves the harassment. Popper has additionally stated he would “love to offer my very own interview and reply to those utter distortions of the reality [crying laughing face emoji],” though repeated makes an attempt to get precisely that by his representatives have all been rebuffed.
And so it goes, on and on, a vicious cycle of lies and bitter recriminations and posting the private handle of a man who made enjoyable of you one time on Twitter—a surefire option to pace issues up, when all it does is sluggish us down, and many others. Why can we do it? Why can we give one another the run-around? Why do you?
Submit your Newswire ideas